|White House photo by Eric Draper|
January 2009, George W. Bush invites the President Elect and
former presidents to a meeting and lunch.
- One minute you're a miracle worker, the next you're declared useless.
- One step forward is the result of your coaxing and negotiation skills.
- Even when something was completely out of your control, if went wrong, it's all your fault. And if it went right, you were merely lucky.
- The more beneficial what you offer, the more furious the rejection.
- You could work 24/7 and still have a bajillion things needing your attention.
- No matter how smart or capable your second in command, you're not so sure he could really take over at a moment's notice.
- You know that one word could be a game changer.
- When they're treating you like crap, you hunker down and keep your cool, knowing that a display of anger could be disastrous.
- The flip-flopping, compromises and deals that seem like saving face, come back to bite you in the ass.
- You wish to God everyone would just focus on progress, instead of getting absorbed by B.S.
- The heart of your job is making sure everyone feels like they had their needs met.
- Your giving to one will be seen as taking away from the other.
- No matter how well conceived what you said, or how courageous, generous or expedient what you did, someone will find fault with it.
- Your vacation, or other time off, will raise eyebrows.
- Sometimes, you have to remind yourself that you're dealing with children.