- You can expect screaming if a dish isn’t made perfectly to order.
- Unsatisfactory dishes will be returned to the kitchen for fixing up or for a complete substitute.
- Diners feel empowered to make a complete mess. After all, they're not cleaning up.
- Diners expect every request to be fulfilled instantly.
- Even if they see you clearly trying to meet someone else's needs, they keep asking for shit.
- Servers are expected eat before or after their "shift." Eating on the job will not be tolerated.
- No one ever needs anything when asked, but has a million requests when you try to catch your breath.
- The other wait staff has a different idea of what sharing duties means.
- Diners show atrocious table manners - screaming, shouting, sitting under/climbing over the table, fighting, throwing food.
- A meal when everyone is happy is not necessarily based on good food or attentive service, just dumb luck.
But at least at a restaurant, even a crapola one, I'd get some small tips with my headache. At home I get bubkes.
What's the mealtime deal at your house?